Thursday, January 3, 2013

Those silly little details

We intend to go food shopping. Baby is placed on the changing table to get pjs off. He immediately arches his back and screams, tries to roll over and says he hates me. "It's just a diaper change and a change of clothes," I tell him, but he is frantically moving his little legs in baby tantrum. 


After much blood, sweat and tears, baby has a onesie shirt, socks, pants and hoodie jacket on. He is ready.


I place baby in front of the mirror, for the baby in the mirror is always in a good mood, and Matthew think he is funny. They laugh at each other and Matt decides he wants to smack the other baby, or hug him really hard, so I have to change fast before he breaks the mirror. 

I've got my pants on, my shirt, and a jacket. I put on some lipstick and even have my sunglasses on my head. I don't brush my hair. Who has time for that? 

By now the mirror is shaking and the baby is pissed at it. 

I fight we little arms to fit them in the car seat. The toys I give him to calm his little self are thrown over my head, on the garage floor. I don't have time to clean them, so the baby will have to chew on garage floor dirty toys. 

I have my wallet, my military card, my cell phone. I even brought a bottle of water. I pet myself on the back: I'm in control and I'm awesome. I'm ready to go to the store.

A jackass in a pick up truck follows me too close on the right lane. I slow down to piss him off and make him pass me. He doesn't. I slow down more. Why do I feel like I forgot something? Matthew laughs at the baby in the mirror that I place in front of him, so I can see him in my rear view mirror.

The driver passes me, follows another driver too close, and another one. What an ass.

We arrive at the military base at the same time and my line moves faster than his. When I enter the base before he does, I say to the guy in my head "A-HA-HA!" 

Once in the base he passes me. This is getting personal. I manage to pass him and I park right in front of the commissary. He is still looking for a place to park.  "I WIN!" I think, and then I look at my feet and notice the one little detail I forgot: my shoes. 

1 comment: