Sunday, June 10, 2012

Getting on solid ground (on baby food) - Q&A

The nerd in me needs to research on how to start baby on solids.

The nutritionist in me wants him to eat the best possible diet.

The control freak in me wants it to be perfect, just like I expect him to be a good driver, to go to college and not to have slutty girlfriends.

After reading a few books (such as "What to expect, the first year" and "Top hundred baby purées") and the book that comes with the Baby Bullet (which to me is one of the coolest gifts baby has ever gotten - thank you again, Courtney and Megan!), the websites www.askdrsears.com and www.kellymom.com, and talking with baby's pediatrician, I came up with a Q&A on starting baby on solids.

Here are some questions I had and the answers I got:

Why is it recommended that breast fed babies wait until the sixth month to start on solids?

My baby's pediatrician's reasoning is that breast milk is such an important meal and it is so complete for baby, that initiating other foods before six months would just occupy baby's belly with something that is not so nutritious.

Kellymom and Dr Sears say that delaying solids gives the baby's immature digestive system time to mature. Babies lack enzymes that break certain nutrients and allergens, so babies could get an allergic reaction to certain foods.

Babies take a while to develop the swallowing reflex for solids, so they just play with the food from side to side inside their cheeks and will probably spit it up.

Is it bad if I start baby on solids before then?

Nope. My baby's pediatrician said it is ok as a good practice for them. Also, some babies are ready and will give cues.

Mine often stares at me when I am eating and smacks his lips, which is adorable, and being able to hold his neck while weighing a solid 19lbs, he could start eating now, but I will wait.

I'm not looking forward to the smelly poops. A friend of mine said that poops from solids are nuclear and that no febreeze can eliminate that smell.

Oh, also, formula fed babies are advised to start on solids earlier than breastfed babies so they get nutrition from more natural sources.

What should be baby's first meal?

Home made rice cereal made of brown rice is recommended mainly because it is blend and could cause less allergic reactions, but also because it is packed in iron, good fats, protein and vitamins. White rice is nothing but carbs, so brown rice is much, much better.

After six months being breast fed, babies need iron from other sources besides momma's milk, which is starting to have less and less iron. Without iron, the red blood cells cannot carry oxygen properly.

Products like the Baby Bullet comes with a grinder, to grind the rice and then cook it, which is another reason why I love it.

Another perfect meal is avocado because it is rich in good fats, protein and tons of vitamins.

How should I start baby on solids?

Apparently they make a big ass mass and take their sweet ass baby time, so supposedly the first few meals have to be done when baby is being a happy self, not too hungry, and when parents have patience and time.

For the first few weeks, baby should be eating one or two solids a day, and only a few spoons of each, so there's no need to make a huge batch of anything fancy.

When can I introduce new foods?

After three or four days of rice cereal or avocado, a new food is introduced after every three days, so baby's digestive system gets used to a new food and allergens can be ruled out.

Veggies or fruits?

Babies' tongues are more sensitive to sweets (and older children's tongues too), so they get addicted to it and refuse veggies. Vegetables should be introduced first for that reason.

What are the best foods to be introduced?

4 to 6 months - avocado, brown rice cereal, peas, zucchini, peas, squash, apple, pear, banana, sweet potato.

7 months - asparagus, carrots, green beans, white potatoes, peach, tofu, cottage cheese, milled oatmeal cereal, milled millet cereal.

8 months - apricot, cantaloupe, plum, watermelon, broccoli, cauliflower, lentils, turnip, kale, eggplant, pineapple, greens.

9 months - red meat, fish, turkey, beans, cheese.

Is there anything I should avoid?

The common allergens are peanuts, chocolate, fish, shellfish, eggs, and cow's milk. Of course, anything with food coloring in it.

How is baby supposed to eat meats when he doesn't have any teeth? (I know, this stupid question was actually asked by me)

All baby's foods are puréed, stupid.

Boil the meat and blend it.

Can I freeze baby's foods if I make a bunch?

Yup, but no longer than a month in a freezer.

How would baby's food diary look like by the time he/she is nine months?

Meal 1 - breast or bottle
Meal 2 - 3 or 4 oz of baby food + breast or bottle to drink
Meal 3 - 3 or 4 oz of baby food + breast or bottle to drink
Meal 4 - 1 or 2 oz of baby food + breast or bottle to drink
Meal 5 - 3 or 4 oz of baby food + breast or bottle to drink
Meal 6 - breast or bottle

(I have no idea if this is right. I guess I will see)

Contrary to adults, babies are not supposed to have a high fiber diet and should have instead a high fat (good fats, that is) diet. In other words, more avocados, less lentils and some fruits.

Here are the websites I read on this:

Dr Sears: 6 Reasons to delay introducing solids
Kelly Mom: Why delay solids?

4 comments:

  1. Thank You for sharing! So helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mari for sharing this info. I'm so nerd too that, last week, I took a 'Course on solid food' Lol
    Pretty much said the same info you shared here, the only thing they mentioned is that for breastfeed babies we shouldn't wait too much time to introduce meat also because of the iron issue in the breast milk. I found that very surprising, but maybe is a New Zealand thing!
    I bought a set of baby spoons which I plan to give one to Leon (empty for now) just to see what he does with it ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of this except I've found that the veggies before fruits thing isn't true. With Jackson (my almost 3 year old) we did ALL veggies first and then fruit and he eats ANYTHING now (except potatoes.)

    But my friend and I had babies within a few weeks of each other and we didn't really pay attention to the veggie before fruit rule and started with fruits then went to veggies and then mixed 'em of course. And both our girls eat both without a problem.

    So for us, the veggie before fruit "rule" didn't really seem to make a difference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica, my mom says the same thing. We started with apples.

    ReplyDelete