Saturday, January 26, 2013

The acorn

My son watches TV. Sue me if that makes me a bad mother. Before baby I had those grand plans to never leave the television on and play instead some educational games. I also thought my hands would be manicured while playing those perfect games.

Well, screw that. After baby, there's just so much playing educational crap one can do. Plus, he is a lot more interested in throwing stuff around really hard to see how noisy it can be. Mommy also needs to get other important stuff done, like drink her coffee.

When the characters he likes come in, with their catchy, annoying songs, he opens a smile really big and babbles to the tube. I like to imagine that in his baby head, he thinks the characters are talking with him.

But then night comes. Maybe because mommy drank too much coffee, she is awake at three am, looking at the ceiling, and all the thoughts in her head are masked by,

"We found the acorn,
we found it over here
we found the acorn..."

Then what? What happens after they found the acorn?

Try thinking about something else. Think about the book you just read.

We found the acorn...

Think about Benghazi. Think about what you want to cook tomorrow.

We found it over here...

Think about sex.

We found the acorn...

What is the rest of that stupid song?

So the next day I sit on the floor with baby when the cartoon comes in. I wait until the damn squirrels find the flippin acorn so the stupid song can come in. I will know how the song goes now!

"We found the acorn
We found it over here
We found the acorn
After looking everywhere
We found it
We found it
So let's all clap and cheer
Wahoo!"

But then the night comes.

It's three am and the song comes back, expect this time I know the lyrics.


"We found the acorn
We found it over here
We found the acorn
After looking everywhere
We found it
We found it
So let's all clap and cheer
Wahoo!"







1 comment:

  1. I needed those lyrics tonight. Thanks for posting :-)

    ReplyDelete