Friday, February 10, 2012

Insights thus far

1. Blogging

I can only blog these days with one hand, in the middle of the night, while baby sleeps (and smiles while sleeping) in my cramping arms.

2. It takes a village

Taking care of a newborn is a superwoman's job, if she is doing that alone, and no woman should do that. Back in the day, a new baby was the village's child. Everyone chipped in. Nowadays, when we are all so isolated, women feel the pressure to take on this crazy job on their own, and feel extra pressured when they start to fall apart. Newborn moms need help, need to learn to ask for help and need to allow others to help, which is all new to superwoman and super independent me.

3. Been there done that moms

Just because someone has had a child, it does not make that person an expert on children. A lot of people with grown offsprings still don't know shit about kids, so I am learning to take advices (and there are so many) with a grain of salt.

4. Nagging

Nagging is a word created by men when they don't want to help. As in, if he says, "you're a nag," or, "you are nagging me," what he really means to say is, "I don't want to do this chore/favor, so I will just categorize your behavior in stereotypical roles you don't want to be identified with in order to make you feel inadequate and think twice before asking me for anything else."

1 comment:

  1. Amen to #2. My mother always told me to "consider the source" before taking any advice or receiving any criticism. Way to much free advice out there

    #3. I think bitching also fits. I think men butch just as often as women do. It's just when they tell us that we stop automatically because who wants to be a b? It's that Venus Mars principle

    Hang in there. You are not alone. Your friends are only a phone call away and a new baby is a huge life adjustment :)

    ReplyDelete