Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Houston, we've made contact

One month old babies smile randomly. They smile when they are in deep sleep and when they poop, which is really disconcerting-slash-embarrassing, when you think your kid is smiling at you, but in reality he just relieved himself.

In my household, with all the baby talk and cooing, the task to figure out if baby is really smiling and at whom is harder to do. He will smile at his dad, that much we know. He finds his dad hilarious.

When it comes to me, though, he will smile when I am not even talking with him (weird kid) and sometimes while looking slightly to my right in the middle of the night feedings. Because my mom is convinced that all kinds of ghosts are wondering around, I am afraid to turn my head to the right and see my deceased aunt making funny faces at baby.

I have just picked up a fussy little person and gave him the strawberry gas medication, which always stops his crying for a second and causes him to stick his tongue out, making faces. Because he was staring at me, I copied his funny face back to him. He suddenly stopped and came up with the loudest giggle. I think in his little mind, he thought, "you crazy, momma, sticking your pointy tongue out!"

The most surprising of all, however, was how easily tears just came flying off my eyes, which made baby coo even more, because now momma is certifiably crazy.

3 comments:

  1. I think Hunter sees "ghosts" or "angels" whatever your flavor. I keep telling him it's his great-grandparents looking over him. And he just smiles big up at the "emptiness". But as for looking at me and smiling, it's usually followed by a horribly smelly fart. But he is trying to mimic my "kissy face". But his includes his tongue, look out girls in the future, this kid is trouble ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is absolutely nothing like the sound of baby laughter :)

    ReplyDelete